Wednesday, April 12, 2006

The new sibling

London is very taken with this baby I have in my tummy. When I was pregnant with Adelaide, I think he was a little young to really understand what me being pregnant meant. But now, after having experienced Mama having a baby in her tummy and now having a sister, I think he's catching on to what it means. Adelaide on the other hand, is too young to have any clue as to what is happening. Her world will just be disrupted in about 5 more months, out of the blue, for no good reason, when she is no longer the baby of the family.

London loves looking at the ultrasound picture, knowing that it is a picture of the baby in Mama's tummy. A couple weeks ago we were having dinner and he started to pat my tummy and said "You have a baby in your tummy?" "Yes" I replied. The wheels in his little brain started turning, "How did it get in your tummy?" Thinking he's too young for any of "those" kinds of talks, I replied with, "God put it there". He wasn't buying it. He got a really concerned look on his face and asked "You ate it?" After the laughter died down, I assured him that, No, Mama is not in the business of eating babies. I do understand his logic. When he eats food, he knows it goes into his tummy. So how else would a baby get into my tummy other than me eating it?! I explained to him that God makes babies and gives them to us to love and care for. He seemed okay with that answer because he dropped the subject. Although I don't know if he realizes that I didn't in fact eat this baby, I'm sure some day he'll understand where babies truly come from. Though that will probably be after he tells all his friends at school that his mother eats babies.

No comments: