Friday, June 03, 2005

Happy Birthday Isaac

Today is my oldest nephew's 8th birthday (he's also the oldest of the grandchildren). I still remember when my sister-in-law told me she was pregnant... Doesn't seem like that much time has passed.. Isaac holds a very special place in my heart. I was at the hospital when he was born, I was his part-time nanny for the first 2 years of his life.. And I spent a lot of time over at my brother and sister-in-law's back then, so I was always around him. When he started to refer to me as something it was "on" (we're from CT so we say Aunt properly, not like the little black insect that scurries about), then he matured his vocabulary and he called me "onnie" for the longest time. He seemed to save all his "firsts" for when I'd be with him. I was the first one to see him roll over, sit up, crawl and walk. I doubt he did that on purpose, but I'll keep believing he did.. :) I cried at his Kindergarten graduation. He is now 8 years old! And he has become such a smart, caring and sweet young man (he is very sensitive to other people's feelings). Two years ago we had to move 2 1/2 hours away from my brother and his family (for 6 years I lived right around the corner from them). I have tried hard to catch soccer games, birthday parties and just plain old Auntie time. I definitely have missed these past 2 years of watching him (and my 2 nieces) grow. Though I know my nephew most likely has no recollection of all the time we spent together, I do.. And I will hold those memories so close and smile (and probably shed some tears) as I watch him grow and recall the day he was born.

No comments: