Friday, August 20, 2010

Daddy's little girl

Six months ago today my dad lost his battle with cancer. Words can't even begin to describe the pain that has come from losing him. I am (and always have been) a complete Daddy's Girl. My mom tells stories of when I was a baby and how my dad doted over me. He always changed my diaper when needed and fixed whatever made me cry. As I grew, I always knew just how much my dad loved me. He never missed an opportunity to show me and tell me. I owe my good self-esteem to my dad. I believe a dad's love for his daughter helps shape her into the woman she becomes. My dad did exactly that for me. I never once looked for my self worth in anything or anyone outside of who God created me to be.

My dad taught me to work hard, to respect myself and others and to love those around me. He was a quiet man (and most people found him incredibly intimidating until they got to know him), but he was full of love and emotion. I felt that love every single day of my life. I am incredibly thankful for getting to live next door to him and my mom the last 5 years. I am thankful that they got to be such a huge part of my children's lives. My dad and I spent the last 5 years becoming even closer.. I miss seeing him every day and learning from him. He was the first person I called if I had a question about anything (outside of cooking, that requires my mom!). He was a wealth of knowledge and could fix just about anything. He wasn't one to sit still for very long. He loved exploring and discovering how things worked. My oldest, London, is so much like him. They took many trips together to Home Depot to get parts for my dad's many projects. They also loved exploring along the river with Papa's metal detector. My dad taught London to fish. They didn't get as much time together as either of them wanted, but I hope that London carries those memories with him. London sure does miss his Papa and I am sad he doesn't have the privilege of more time with my dad. My dad would have taught London all the things he taught me. Now my brothers and I have the honor of carrying on our dad's legacy and instilling those things in our children, his 9 grandchildren. They will always know how much their Papa loved them. They will know what it is to work hard, to take pride in the things they do, to respect themselves and each other and to love those around them.

I can still feel my dad's love every day and I know that won't diminish. When I make a discovery or learn something new he is the first person I think of. I know he would want to be here with us too, watching his grandchildren grow into such great little people. He was a great example of strength, even through his sickness. He never once gave up and never once questioned God's plan. He held tight to his salvation and accepted everything that came with incredible courage. I am thankful God blessed me with such an amazing dad. I never expected our time to be cut so short, but I am incredibly thankful for the time we had. And even though he's no longer physically here, I will forever be his little girl.

No comments: