Tuesday, December 20, 2005

The greatest compliment

Our church is having a Valentine's party of sorts in the beginning of February. A night out for all us adults, complete with a comedian, with a "bring your friend" sort of outreach flair. We're renting out the local VFW to accomodate all the people (since our church doesn't have its own facility). Our church probably has about 125 members. It will be a dessert only menu. I have been asked to cater it. Oh my gosh, did you hear that? I HAVE BEEN ASKED TO CATER IT!!!! Though it won't be my first official paying gig, it is my first OH MY FREAKING GOSH this is a big deal paying gig. When I was first asked to do it I started to get all jittery inside, like I had just smoked a big bag of crack. I was so flattered to be asked. I mean, people believe in me. They like me, they REALLY like me. Well, maybe not me, but they like my desserts. And I am so okay with that. So now is the task of deciding what to make. So far, on my rough draft list, are an assortment of cheesecakes, cookies, truffles and other sorts of cakes I really haven't decided on. The more I think about it the more freaked out I get. I really hope I am able to handle this and pull it off with grace and dignity. I have lots of planning to do. This whole thing has kind of been pushed to the far, cobwebby corners of my mind. I have been so busy planning all my Christmas baking I haven't thought much past the end of this year. But February is just around the corner and I better get my act together. Step 1 - Finalizing the menu. Step 2 - Freak out a little more as the time gets closer. Step 3 will be designing fun menus for each table. Step 4 involves me questioning whether or not I can really pull this off. Step 5, don't you know that the time has arrived? Sorry, New Kids flashback. But seriously, my mind is going to be one busy machine for the next couple weeks as I plan this all out and freak out in the process.

I'll keep you updated. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

No comments: