Monday, December 05, 2005

While the merry bells keep ringing

My first attempt at making chocolate truffles was an amazing success!! I have always wanted to try my hand at them and this past week, I got my chance.

We had our annual Ornament Exchange party with the women from our church on Thursday. I was asked to bring cookies and other delectables. I decided the night called for chocolate truffles and some fancified cookies. I made Chocolate Candy Cane cookies. They were fabulous! Peppermint buttercream sandwiched between two scrumptious chocolate cookies, edged with crushed peppermint candies. Yum. I also made Lime Snowballs (if you like lime, you would love these cookies) and Chocolate Chews (the best chocolate cookies ever created). Those cookies, in themselves, were a hit. But, to top it off, I made an assortment of truffles. Dark chocolate with honey and lime, Chocolate and Raspberry (chambord liquer, mmmm), Dark Chocolate (slightly flavored with Grand Marnier) and Hazelnut truffles. It took me 3 days to make the truffles (what with 2 kids and a house to take care of), but it was 3 days of learning, growing and chocolate. I made about 200 truffles. I knew that was way too many for just 40 women and 2 hours, so I thought it would be nice to make little boxes to put the truffles in so everyone could take some home. That was nice. I'm glad I decided to do that.

I can now add the notch of truffle making to my pastry belt. That delights me. I will definitely be adding truffles to my baking repetoire. I have a few other kinds I'd really like to try (think Chocolate Caramel Peanut and Rocky Road).

Now I will get neck deep in my Christmas baking. Man I love this time of year.

Merry Christmas!

No comments: